M-CORD project work has been folded into the COMAC platform. Please visit the COMAC page for latest updates
M-CORD is an open source reference solution for carriers deploying 5G mobile wireless networks. It is a cloud-native solution built on SDN, NFV and cloud technologies. It includes both virtualization of RAN functions and a virtualized mobile core (vEPC) to enable mobile edge applications and innovative services using a micro-services architecture.
Built on the CORD infrastructure platform, which brings datacenter economics and cloud agility to operator networks, M-CORD transforms the mobile network by disaggregating and virtualizing cellular network functions as well as operator specific services. It enables the creation of use case-specific services that can be dynamically scaled. M-CORD lays the foundation for 5G networks and services through support for disaggregated and virtualized evolved packet core, end-to-end slicing from RAN to EPC, mobile edge computing, and a programmable radio access network.
Current Mobile Infrastructure
- Built with closed proprietary vertically integrated systems
- Inefficient utilization results in sub-optimal use of radio resources
- Unable to support customization for individual end-user customers
- Slow in supporting the creation of new and innovative services
- Unable to support industry-specific IoT scenarios
M-CORD: Enabling Networks of the Future
- Disaggregated and Virtualized RAN for high flexibility and scalability
- Disaggregated EPC embracing a cloud-native scale-out design for independent scalability
- Multi-Access Edge Services for customized services and improved QoE